Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Point of View

Today I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for 9:40am. I showed up kinda late (maybe 9:45) so I felt bad. But when I walked into the reception office, I saw that it was packed. I wondered why.

I stood in the appointment line and waited to check-in.

I got to the front and said, "I have an appointment with Dr. Duque."

The receptionist said, "Oh! Dr. Duque? Well he's not here today. He'll be out for two weeks. His wife just had a baby. Go wait in line over there, for his nurse, to see if you can be seen by another doctor, or reschedule."

Immediately I was pretty excited. Dr. Duque is super nice and I felt happy for him. But I realized that this was the reason for so many people in the waiting area. Dr. Duque's patients would have to be seen by other doctors at the clinic, doctors who probably had a full schedule already.

Waiting in the long line to talk to the nurse, I overheard other people's conversations with her. Angry statements like "I've been here for over an hour, and you just let in someone who just got here!" or "When will I be seen?!" or "I already took a day off work, and now I have to come back and miss work again?!"

I know I have a different point of view because my days are pretty free since I don't have work or school to go to. But even if I did, I don't think I would have reacted the way the other patients did. At least I hope wouldn't have. Do you really expect Dr. Duque to come in the day his wife goes into labor? Would you? And why take it out on the nurses? It's not like their day got any easier either.

I got to the front and the nurse greeted me with a smile, recognizing me. She scheduled me for exactly two weeks from today at 9:40am again. This time I'll be early rather than late. And I'll be sure to congratulate Dr. Duque.

I'm reminded every time I read Kitty's blog: "It's not too difficult to be nice."

2 comments:

Madel said...

No it's not too difficult. But for some people, it's difficult to not let things bring them down or get frustrated. People are difficult and not everyone's the same. Makes life difficult.

Keeks said...

world needs more people like you nicky. you can be my patient anytime. jk.. cuz.. you're gonna be my colleague!