Friday, November 13, 2009

To Each His (or Her) Own

"I heard that movie sucked"
"I don't like that song"
"Golf is so boring"

I think we've all heard comments such as these before. Sometimes when we hear these remarks, it might change how we feel about a certain thing. We're all entitled to our own opinions. But I believe it's important for me to not let another person's judgment affect my perception.

A few days ago, my friend Johnny said the first comment to me. He was responding to the fact that I had rented The Bucket List from Netflix. Having not even placed the movie into my DVD player yet, I knew I would already own a bias towards it. And that annoyed me.

I watched the movie the next day. Some people might have disliked it, but I surely didn't. What we enjoy is tied to our past individual experiences. Having spent a considerable amount of time in a hospital (like the main characters of the movie), I was able to make a connection that perhaps many others would not be able to. When you're laying on a hospital bed, much of your thoughts are what you will do if and when you are once again free from the confinements of convalescence. I found that many of the situations presented in the film parallel those which I have gone through.

Note to self: Go into things with an open mind.

2 comments:

Jaelyn said...

i agree :)

although i know i am guilty of saying some of those opinions, the last thing i would want to do is impose a bias on someone's judgment.

another one i like, "don't yuck my yum"

Madel said...

I agree also. My older brother always reads the reviews about movies and decides on whether or not he'd want to see that specific movie.

It's tough when we're simply human with opinions about everything. We just have to learn to separate our opinions from our decisions and actions.