Thursday, November 17, 2011

Table for One

I remember when having a meal at a restaurant by myself was uncomfortable, even embarrassing. Over time I recognized it as good "me time". More than any other activity, I can focus without really focusing. I get lots of thinking done while my food is being prepared. Then when my meal arrives, I enjoy the food while continuing my musings.

Yesterday I was in a part of San Diego that I don't frequent too often. I was in the area because I had to take care of an errand and was waiting for my appointment time. I had a good hour to wait, so I walked around to see if I could find a place to eat. I saw Rubio's across the street. I started towards the cross walk when I saw a Thai restaurant on the corner I was already on. After a look at the menu outside (and the Zagat Rated sticker on the door), I entered. Immediately I knew it was the right decision.

After I ordered, I looked around the restaurant. The two tables directly in front of me had families that were catching up on the week's events. To the right of me were the fellow solo eaters, all lined up in a row. There was a woman in her early thirties to the left, a middle-aged man on the right, and a woman with short, gray hair in the center, probably in her fifties.

People watching is a great way to pass time.
The two on the ends were checking things on their phone while they waited for their food. I wondered if they were unable to enjoy their meals because they had their minds on the work they needed to accomplish.
The older woman in the middle was reading a book. This didn't seem too interesting to me at first, but then I heard her chuckle to herself. This struck me because I had seen her highlighting* and marking pages with tabs. I had thought the book was something for work or school, and that she too was worrying about a project or a test. But then her laugh made me think that she was reading for fun. Either way, I recognized that she was thoroughly enjoying what she was reading. This made the meal even more enjoyable.



*I don't highlight books too often. One, I think it slows down my already snail's pace reading. Two, I love lending my books to others, and I don't want to taint their experience (which I feel happens to me when I read used books that are marked up). That being said, highlight away! I'm not sure if you can highlight on e-readers (one day I too will post about my take on e-readers), but even if you could, would it feel the same? Would it feel as permanently important to you? I'm not sure about that either.

**Sorry for the tangent

***R.I.P. Borders (1971-2011)

3 comments:

camille said...

this post made me chuckle. =D

Kat said...

I hope you don't diss me and my e-reader usage! haha j/k :) i labs you nicky!

emilyn said...

I don't think eating alone is embarrassing at all :) I enjoy it for those very reasons that you mentioned!

And about e-readers... I love books. I loved Borders (and worked there for 3 years!) It still makes me sad that they went down... and it makes me even sadder that there are now ZERO book stores in my area. I never thought I'd get an e-reader because I viewed them as the enemy... the reason our beloved book stores closed down. But I recently got one as a gift. Do I prefer it to reading actual books? HELLLLLL NO. But is it convenient? Yes. I don't plan on reading books on there all the time, but I do plan on using it to read or watch movies/shows when I travel or have to wait for a long time. Its not so bad...