Monday, October 13, 2008

A Good Read.

The Power of One by Bruce Courtenay is an incredibly inspirational book. It's about a young boy, Peekay, who grows up in South Africa during the Apartheid movement. He faces a lot of oppression and goes through a lot of hardships. Still not finished yet, but here's a passage that I found to be particularly thought-provoking.

The scene is of a German music professor, Doc, who teaches Peekay not only how to play the piano, but also many other life lessons.

'His piercing blue eyes looked into mine. "Always listen to yourself, Peekay. It is better to be wrong than simply to follow convention. If you are wrong, no matter, you have learned something and you will grow stronger. If you are right, you have taken another step toward a fulfilling life."'

2 comments:

Keeks said...

OMG! nicky! that is my most favorite book. i've read it at least 4 times and every person i've recommended it to loves it. :)

Madel said...

I need to add that to my list of books to read. I'm a Barnes and Noble member! Woo!! =)

But how come when I told my mom I'm going to start reading, she said, "Yeah, right." Sadness!